Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
As you are likely aware, the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Watauga County.
We are in regular communications with the National Weather Service regarding pending forecast developments. While models vary greatly, the forecast is currently calling for a significant snow event. We are accustomed to snow in the High Country in winter, but we are taking this forecast seriously.
In accordance with established emergency readiness plans, the university has been taking preparedness steps since last week, and continues to prepare. Appalachian is preparing for this event in numerous ways.
Here's what the university is doing
● Adjusting exam schedules as needed
● Performing maintenance on plows and snow clearing equipment
● Adding to our inventory of road salt to mitigate ice and snow freezing and sticking to roads and sidewalks
● Stocking up on food and water supplies
● Performing pre-storm checks on residence halls and other campus buildings
● Preparing to provide housing for residence hall students who may need to stay on campus longer than expected
● Extending operation hours for our Student Health Services clinic
● Keeping the library open for its normal operating hours, even when the university is operating under special conditions
● Coordinating with local and state partners should we need to implement emergency response plans
Additionally, as with any severe weather event, a number of university employees responsible for critical services including food services, building safety and maintenance, and emergency response teams will be on campus and responding in the event of any critical or crisis situation.
What you should do
● Stay alert for messages that will be sent to you via your appstate email
● Register for text alerts at http://appstatealert.com/
● Stay calm, and prepare – it's always good to have a readiness kit
● Unless absolutely necessary, don't drive in severe weather
● Messages related to class closings and cancellations are emailed, posted to appstatealert.com, distributed to local media and posted to university Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Planning to attend events taking place on campus Sunday or Monday?
Some events planned for Sunday, Dec. 9 & Monday, Dec. 10 have already been cancelled or postponed. Be sure to check with the presenter of any event you are planning to attend.
Please also keep in mind that travel conditions will vary across the state. If you are traveling, check the forecast and travel conditions along your route and make plans accordingly, and always use caution during inclement weather.
Links for further information:
We will provide regular updates as we learn more about the storm track and what this will mean for our campus, our off-campus students, faculty and staff, and the surrounding area.
Director, Environmental Health, Safety, and Emergency Management
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
Office: (828) 262-8081
Cell: (828) 406-7610